What is Coastal Neighbors Network?
- Coastal Neighbors Network is a community-based, nonprofit membership organization that provides services and information to enable Dartmouth & Westport residents to live safely, independently, and comfortably in their own homes.
- It’s one of a growing number of Villages across the country that offers older adults options for staying at home and staying active even after transportation and household chores become difficult or dangerous – the point at which many people leave the community they love.
- Our mission is to enable Dartmouth & Westport residents 50 and over to remain at home and to stay connected through a range of services provided by volunteers and approved vendors. Coastal Neighbors Network is part of the national organization, Village to Village Network, which works to connect individual villages to help them collaborate to raise their impact and sustainability.
Why is Coastal Neighbors needed?
- Dartmouth & Westport have growing older populations. This segment of our population represents over 40% of the residents of both towns. Coastal Neighbors supports residents who want to remain safe and active in our community.
- Our community is blessed with several excellent organizations that serve the elderly. But they cannot provide all the services all the time to everyone. Coastal Neighbors helps our members to access existing services.
- Coastal Neighbors adds a layer of one-to-one personal support and connections to existing services. We create a community of friendship for our members.
How is Coastal Neighbors organized?
- Coastal Neighbors Network formed in 2015, incorporated in 2016 and received 501(c)(3) status in November 2016. Our organization launched in September 2017.
- Coastal Neighbors is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and operated by a paid Executive Director, Andy Pollock, and volunteers from the community.
- Board members: Steve Kiechel, President; Chris Strasser, Treasurer; Margot Hand, Secretary; Jed Cohen, Kate Fentress, Gay Gillespie, Gretchen Graef, Margaret Jones, Mia Lahti, Lisa Mellgard, Dock Murdock, Sarah Van Vleck and Paula Walsh.
Who are Coastal Neighbors volunteers?
- Our volunteers are your neighbors and friends – caring individuals who believe in the Village concept and who will most likely become members themselves.
- They are passionate about helping neighbors remain connected to friends and familiar surroundings.
- All Coastal Neighbors volunteers undergo background checks and have valid driver’s licenses.
- Coastal Neighbors carries insurance to cover the services provided by our volunteers.
- If you are interested in volunteering, please contact a Board Member.
Who are Coastal Neighbors preferred service providers?
- Coastal Neighbors has a database of preferred providers who embrace the Village concept and who offer competitive prices.
- Like a localized “Angie’s List,” these trusted providerss are electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers, chimney sweeps, computer wizards, landscapers, handymen.
- As Coastal Neighbors membership grows, there’s the possibility that our vendors could offer discount pricing.